Caravan

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

I came like water, and like wind I go

With them the seed of Wisdom I did sow,
And with mine own hand wrought to make it grow;
And this was all the Harvest that I reap'd -
"I came like Water, and like Wind I go."

Omar Khayyam (Fitzgerald Translation)

Just yesterday, a friend of ours received the sad news that his Father had unexpectedly passed away. His 70 year old Father died thousands of miles away in Iran. We went to see our friend today. More than anything else, he was perhaps grieving for not being able to be with his father in his last days.

Islamic regime has turned millions of Iranians into immigrants. Many Iranian families I know are scattered around the globe. The normally close-knit families are now separated, living in different countries and continents. Aging parents could only be with their children and grandchildren once every few year and some don’t even get that chance at all. I have been one of the lucky ones that at least my immediate family is living near me. My parents have a chance to be with their two grandchildren and watch them grow. We also get to see my wife’s parents who live away for at least a few weeks almost every year. My friend’s loss made me realize once again how precious these moments of being together are, and I am grateful for that.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home